Revolution vs. Frontline Plus – What Is The Difference Between The Two?
REVOLUTION for DOGS:
- For use in dogs 6 weeks of age or older against the following parasites: adult fleas, flea eggs, heartworm, ear mites, sarcoptic mites, and American dog tick
- Kills adult fleas and prevents flea eggs from hatching for one month, and for the prevention and control of flea infestations (Ctenocephalides felis)
- Prevention of heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis
- Treatment and control of ear mite (Otodectes cynotis) infestations
- Treatment and control of sarcoptic mange (Sarcoptes scabiei)
- Control of tick (Dermacentor variabilis) infestations
REVOLUTION for CATS:
REVOLUTION is the first FDA-approved, topically applied medication for cats that:
- Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching
- Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis
- Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis)
- Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme)
Key Features of Revolution
- REVOLUTION is a prescription-only medicine, not a pesticide; active ingredient selamectin
- Broad-spectrum protection against most internal and external parasites
- Kills adult flea and their eggs
- Fast, simple and easy to use
- Because of the low-volume dosage size, the solution can be applied in one spot
- Non-greasy, quick-drying preparation
- Bathing pet 2 hours after application does not affect efficacy
- Available in 6 convenient dosage sizes in no-drip disposable tubes
How does REVOLUTION work?
REVOLUTION enters the bloodstream through the skin. Concentrations of Revolution in the blood and tissues prevent heartworm disease and prevent and treat roundworm and hookworm infections. REVOLUTION selectively redistributes from the blood to the skin and other tissues, where it provides protection against fleas, flea eggs, and ear mites.
Frontline Plus is also a topical ‘spot-on’ type application and is used for the treatment and prevention of fleas, ticks and lice on dogs and cats, however the main difference is that Frontline Plus has no effect against heartworm and it is more broad spectrum against ticks.
Heartworm is a serious disease spread by infected mosquitoes. Heartworm infection is widely distributed throughout the United States and has been found in dogs native to all 50 states. Treatment is very involved, complex and expensive, therefore prevention is preferable to the cure. When using Frontline Plus pet owners are also advised to use Heartgard, a heartworm preventative for more complete prevention.
Both Revolution and Frontline Plus have a rapid onset of action for fleas. Both Revolution and Frontline Plus kill the egg stage as well as the adult stage of the flea lifecycle. Revolution is registered for the control of the American dog tick – Dermacentor variabilis while Frontline Plus is registered for the control of the brown dog tick, the American dog tick, the lone star tick and deer ticks.
If you live in an area where ticks are a problem or if your pet spends time outdoors, you want to consider using Frontline Plus along with a separate heartwormer such as Heartgard Plus for more complete protection.
If you have questions, we are here to help! Please call, 312-583-1921.