Oxygen Therapy for Your Pet
Some animals are unable to breathe well and require higher oxygen content to ensure proper oxygenation of their blood than typical air. At MetroVet, we are equipped to offer this type of oxygen therapy for our patients. This treatment can be administered with a facemask, nasal catheter, dedicated oxygen cage, or nasal prongs situated inside the nostrils.
Oxygen therapy increases the concentration of oxygen available to a patient allowing your pet to breathe with less effort. It can be lifesaving, giving animals that normally would die of lack of oxygen more time for their medications or treatments to become effective.
What Conditions Benefit from Oxygen Therapy?
- Trauma (hit by car, falling, etc.)
- Pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs or chest cavity)
- Fire exposure, biting an electrical cord
- Respiratory distress or shock
- Serious heart problems, such as congestive heart failure
- Asthmatic Crisis
- Recovery from anesthesia and surgery