Pet Health Certificates

It is stressful enough trying to travel with your pet. Because some destinations have specific requirements, it’s important to make sure you start investigating it as soon as possible to reduce the amount of stress you experience. 

Also called a Health Certificate, the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, or CVI, documents the necessary information regarding your pet and his health. This certificate will include your pet’s name, age, microchip status, and more, but should also include a list of vaccinations. It will let officials know your pet doesn’t have a contagious, communicable, or infectious disease and is healthy enough for travel. Our veterinarians are USDA certified to provide exams and sign the appropriate documentation for domestic travel. However, it is your responsibility to determine which documents are required and then gather them in a timely manner.

Below, you will find information that can help you prepare for your trip. Be sure to double-check with the United States Department of Agriculture regarding any regulations for your destination. You may check here.

If you are traveling domestically:

Many pet owners are unaware their dog or cat must meet certain requirements set by the United States Department of Agriculture in order to cross state lines, whether by car or by air. Every state has different requirements, making it essential to do your research. However, there is often at least one of two requirements: a pet health certificate or a certificate stating a pet has had all the required vaccinations, such as rabies. A rabies certificate should include the serial number of the vaccine, a tag number, and the manufacturer. Your pet should also be wearing his rabies tag on his collar. We can provide this vaccine before travel if your pet is due.

Note: Travel to Hawaii may require an International Health Certificate.

In order for pets to travel in an airline’s cargo hold, an acclimation certificate is also necessary. We can provide this documentation upon a clean bill of health for your pet.

Before you come to us for flight documentation, check your carrier’s website, as well as the state to which you are traveling to find out how long these certificates are valid. In most cases, airlines will only accept a certificate issued within 10 days. Always verify special requirements before you make an appointment.

Traveling Outside the United States (and Hawaii)

We highly encourage you to begin researching your destination’s requirements as early as possible to reduce your stress. Use a pet travel agency such as Pets in Transit, which is not only familiar with, but has experience with the constantly changing pet regulations with regards to traveling outside of the United States. The cost of this service will greatly reduce the stress of preparing for travel.

Transporting your pets to another country or Hawaii can take time. Many countries have specific regulations regarding the breeds they accept, de-worming treatments, potential quarantine, microchips, vaccines, and more. Some destinations may require the health certificate and any other documentation be translated into their primary language. Make sure that you know all of the travel requirements. Check with your airline to ensure there are no additional requirements.